Thursday 2 April 2015

Making a bamboo trellis in 2 days.

Rainy days have meant little progress in my garden.  While waiting for the sun to reappear, I thought I would turn my hands to making a bamboo trellis to support the old grape vine and also to perk up the entrance into the garden. 
Never having done one before, I found a great website, www.japangarden.co.uk, that showed me how, along with making a proper square knot. After sourcing some free, local bamboo, I spent two days in the garden with a handsaw, measuring tape, string, scissors and a thermos of coffee to keep me going.
Three things I found really useful was to soak the string (if it is made of natural fibres) in water.  It shrinks and tightens when it dries. The second was using the top of my pallet compost bin which was the perfect height for sawing lengths of bamboo.  The third was raising off the ground the bottoms of the vertical bamboos by sinking a sturdy post into the ground and then tying the bamboo to that. Also, by making cuts just above each growth point meant that the natural membrane will keep water out.
I made both of the sides before securing them in place and then, once secured, measured and made the roof in situ. Then the poor old vine was gently manoeuvred over the roof and tied in.
Thinking sweet peas might look lovely climbing amongst the grape leaves.  I love  gardens that have flowers scattered amongst the veg.  The best of both worlds!
My next project is erecting bamboo bean and pea supports.  With good weather forecast starting on Sunday, I am so looking forward to planting at last!
All the best,

Joanne Schofield