Tuesday 21 April 2015

Straying dogs / dog adoption from Sue at Poorpaws

Dear Val,
 Just read about the straying dogs and thought I would poke my nose in (again !). 
Not many people seem to know that during the months where the wild life are having their young – deers, sangliers for example – NO DOGS are allowed to run loose in forest and wooded areas.  Now, I always thought that the period was from the end of April until the end of June and I tried to make sure that any of my ‘runners’ and/or hunting dogs were safely on leads for walks during that period.  However, I have learned the hard way.  Last year three of my hunting dogs escaped (my fault, gate not closed properly) and were away and out for a long time.  The next day I received a visit from the Forest guardian who informed that I had been ‘denounced’ as an irresponsible dog owner.  I was mortified and very distressed when he told me that two of my dogs had been seen attacking a stag.  He said that normally I would have been served with a written warning which would have been followed up by an appearance in front of a tribunal if I ‘reoffended’.  However, I was so upset and crying so much at the thought of the poor stag that I think the guardian felt sorry for me and I was let off with a verbal warning.
Apparently dogs can run free during the hunting season but woe betide them if they upset a hunt.
So, please, think of the wildlife, imagine how terrifying it must be for a heavily pregnant animal to have to run to escape the snapping teeth of an excited dog and how very distressing it can be (it has happened to friends of mine) for your dog to bring home a baby deer in its’ mouth.
As for dog adoption, fenced in property is, of course, the best, however I do relax the rule for puppies who just follow you anywhere and are very unlikely to run off, and the oldies who just want to sit in the sunshine.
Now, where is that naughty Josie who slipped out ................................
Sue x
Val says I know a very distressing story where a doe was at the point of delivery when she was found by a dog, the doe tried to run away but the dog got her by the throat and killed her. The dog owners tried to save the baby to no avail.
comments to taglines82@gmail.com