Monday 13 April 2015

Handmade bean and pea support

Hello Val and Malcolm,

While waiting for my beans and peas to sprout in their pots, the past two days have been spent constructing a pole support in my garden.  Using branches I kept from 3 large ash trees which we pollarded in February, I cut them to size, trimmed each one and kept short stubby bits for both string and growing plants to attach themselves to. Each upright has been secured in the ground with a stake and I used polystring to tie it together as it is strong, don't need much and tightens really well. Bit hard on the hands, though.

I decided to grow most of the mangetout peas and coco beans in pots to give them a headstart due to mice that live in the garden.  I will plant some directly into the soil in a few weeks time.  That will also give me an extended cropping period. Planting has started and hopefully by the end of the week, everything short of tomatoes, will be in.  I have always watered my garden in the early mornings and will continue the tradition.  Now that I have accessed water from the old village well (via a new electric pump), we shall see what responds, besides just weeds!

The garden is very close to the village and beside one of the main promenades, which local people take frequently.  The comments, pearls of advice and conversations have been just lovely. A great way to improve my French!
Joanne Schofield