Tuesday 14 April 2015

Cela mettra le chat parmi les pigeons

That has put the cat amongst the pigeons, not something the French would say, but that is exactly what has happened with my post on speaking French.

Firstly let me say to Ginny you appear to have missed the point in your reply, delving into the post which is really not about reading English, French or Afghanistan papers it is about learning French.
TAG and Taglines82 and other sites on facebook are being inundated with replies and so far not one against my post. I am gobsmacked everyone agrees with me.. read on:

Linda of Le Riols
OK let's get controversial. How do we feel about immigrants in the UK who make no effort to learn English? What is the difference? To live here and not even make an effort to speak French  is darn right rude. I have heard Brits at the Gazpacho ordering coffees in English!
How difficult to say in French with a smile?

David  St. Antonin
Val, fear not you were right in my book. People expect immigrants in the UK to learn English, yet some people here feel they do not need to make the effort. Pathetic.

David T
One cringe making moment I remember in Leclerc supermarket, I heard a woman at the deli counter shout " Does'nt anyone here speak English" and then angrily stormed off.
This is France what did she expect?

Ian G of La Vie en France
Your post is not controversial Val, just plain common sense. I suspect the ugly Brits who complain loudly in Leclerc about no one speaking English are the same ones who complain about ethnic groups in England not speaking the language
Keith of Caylus
Could not agree more. I find newspapers and sitting in the local bar a great way to learn French.