Monday 24 February 2014

On going home...

Hi Val and Malc,
Always interesting to read Taglines, but I was particularly taken with the
comment about those being homesick. What to do if one of you wants to go back,
but the other wants to stay?  My feeling is that you've got to separate the
'physical' from the 'psychological'.  The former covers all that France has to
offer: sunshine, le bien manger, open roads, cheap housing and of course the
wonderful world-beating French health service. But, the psychological, a
yearning to return to your roots, your English culture, where your heart lies -
which is the strongest option for you? That's the question.
Keep up the good work,
Gill x
Writing as Olga Swan, see my blog about my life in France:
www.olgaswan.blogspot.com


Val says  and the problem if you are suddenly left on your own, is yet another issue. I am told you should not do anything hasty after a bereavement, it takes two years before one should make a life changing move.  I could imagine that the need to flee to what one remembers as safe and comfortable seems when grieving,  the way to go. 
We do have support systems here and they are improving all the time. I have just watched on TV old frail people being sent home from hospital in the UK to be on their own with no bread or milk in the house. So not everything is rosy back home, you see I do say back home,  although I call Mas del Sol home as well.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com