Sunday 23 February 2014

Identified as a Sparrowhawk

Morning all,
A couple of pictures to start of this sunny jour.
What am I?
Peregrine Falcon, Merlin  or Sparrowhawk?  what a choice: this is a tough one.  

Earlier in the day I was resting on my shovel in the trailer after emptying a ton of ballast and stone me, a 
Peregrine Falcon flew right past me at ankle height, it had a lovely grey back and a purposeful short wing flap as it disappeared round the side of the house.   I am sure they know when you have no camera to hand. 

So I dust myself down and after a cuppa, exit into the garden with the intent of tracking down the 
Peregrine.  I reckon it has noticed our highly populated bird feeders and is hoping for a feathery snack.  Okay found it. It is sitting on the post at the end of the garden and I have plenty of cover in front so I can sneak a little closer.  Look at that front, all that plumage, definitely Peregrine Falcon and those talons - ouch!   But hang on a second, the picture with it diving off the post shows some nice dark stripes on the tail feathers just like a Merlin and so it was also definitely Merlin. 

This is a conundrum could it be a hybrid? No. Back to the books and a quick search on the Internet.  Eureka, or should I say Voila?  It is all in the eyes, 
which are a striking yellow, so it is a Sparrowhawk or épervier for those wishing to learn the French word.

Sparrowhawks are very similar in size to the Merlin so it was an easy mistake to make as it flew past but it was the shot on the post that highlighted the key difference which was the eyes.

Val says To view these birds as a larger image go to Wild photos
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com