Friday 21 February 2014

First tick of the year

It  must be the mild weather as we have just spotted and relieved Max our cat / wild thing, of a tick near his eye.  An early start in the year for these horrid blood sucking creatures. We use a tick fork bought from the vets, it means you do not have to touch the little blighters and once in the forks prongs, a sharp anti clockwise movement releases the tick including its mouth parts.  I then drown them in a container of soapy water. If you are not careful  they hang on in there and can cause abscesses on your pet or YOU if you are the host. I better mention Lyme's disease as well, otherwise a reader will write to correct my omission.
I feel like a tick expert of SW France with all the animals we have and being constantly on my guard  against them.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com