Tuesday 25 November 2014

No pussy footing about; that is what I call integration.

What an absolutely wonderful morning. I just cannot express how happy I am that this morning was such a great success.
 Firstly thanks have to go to Gareth and Sarah at St. Martial for hosting the second of our " Café et conversation mornings" Yesterday I was concerned that we would have more UK citizens than  French. Well this morning the French won hands down, with about 24 people participating at least two thirds were French.  We had a table laden with cakes of every description and Gareth and Sarah made a cracking job of topping up coffee. We all talked to different groups and hardly a word of English was spoken. I think my French must be the most suspect as I did get helped a lot with useful phrases and I am not proud, it is help I need. I had volunteered to pick up an elderly gent of the village whose wife has not long been dead. We hit it off so well and in fact this gentleman now wants to host the January reunion. Driving home he was as ecstatic as I about how much he had enjoyed the morning. Julia our young French friend came ( to please me really) and she said she would just stay half an hour. When we left she was still deep in discussion with French neighbours she had just met and looked really animated.
Lots of conversations I had were with singles, ladies and men who had lost partners they  were a bit sad but were really taken with having an insight in to the lives of us from the UK and the  Dutch and were really keen to help us with the language.
From wondering if it would ever work to thinking " yes, this is the way to go to foster friendships and show our French neighbours how much we want to be part of their lives"

  Can I swear?   this morning was  a bl....   marvellous success and a big thank you all round to everyone who participated.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com