Wednesday 26 November 2014

From the sub’s bench

The editor’s enforced inactivity over the last few weeks has led me to reflect on how difficult sudden disability must be. Val’s operation was relatively minor, but did totally deprive her of the use of her right hand, making the simplest of tasks near impossible without the aid of her helper. Fortunately the situation was temporary. Many Taglines readers suffer physical disabilities on a permanent basis and have had to make major adjustments to their way of life. 
I have been disabled since the age of 13 when I lost a leg following a cancer and so over nearly 60 years have become used to what I can do and what I cannot. Cannot mainly involves running, so no England cricket cap for me. But I could and did sail a single handed boat (perhaps not the most felicitous phrase in the circs).
I imagine that many readers with similar problems have learned to cope with what is possible and not worry too much about what is not. Of course it is a great help if one has a sympathetic companion and if you make the most of the aids available nowadays. At least one reader is quite blind and uses state of the art computer technology to read and write; many will be quite deaf and rely on hearing aids and TV subtitles; some are in wheelchairs and have adapted their homes and cars; spellchecks iron out many typing faults for the dyslexic. Yet most of these readers are glad to be alive and know there are many worse off in the world.
I am not dealing here with illnesses and diseases which have their own problems, sometimes temporary, sometimes permanent. And mental illnesses such as depression present a whole different set of challenges.
Val doesn’t like downbeat posts, so take heart from Stevie Wonder, who was blind and famously said “it could be worse – I could be black!”

Comments to taglines82@gmail.com