Saturday 10 January 2015

Funny do's, these Mayors get togethers

We were all invited to aperos with the Mayor and what do the French think you have for aperos, not red or white wine, no, you are offered Ricard, whisky, muscat, orange juice or water. The French think we are funny drinking wine if they are invited for aperos.

From the evening, I am a little horse, or is it hoarse, I am nothing if not a tryer.
The Mayor gave his speech  which included a minutes silence after he said " Je suis Charlie" and then said now what have I forgotten? I gave him a minute and then shouted out "Café et conversation." "Ah,  yes" He said and then proceeded to tell the audience how we were having coffee mornings speaking, French, Dutch and English! I could not possibly shout out again but my heart sank. Then of course all the dear little French villagers I was trying to talk in to coming said " but we do not speak English or Dutch" With some villagers the damage was done, no way were they getting into an embarrassing situation not understanding English.
I went to tackle the Mayor afterwards who looked suitably sheepish and apologised, yes, yes he knew really, it was a mistake!!
We will have to see what happens come the day. On the positive side both Malc and I felt right at home knowing so many villagers.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com