Thursday 13 November 2014

Yes or no to electric collars

Morning Val,
 I read your comment about electric collars and although I don’t want your readers to think I am a sadist (or whatever the word is for being cruel to animals is – probably not printable !) I do know of very many dogs who have kept fabulous homes thanks to the collars.
When you introduce your dog to the system you put the collar on very low setting and then walk the dog just far enough from the wire so that he hears a buzz.  Walk him all round where the wire is laid and he will soon realise where the ‘buzz’ is.  The dogs only get a shock , which is really very small, like a battery, if they cross the wire.  Inevitably most dogs do this once but learn very quickly.  A friend’s dogs stayed indoors for 48 hours but now happily run around and my friend is secure knowing her dogs will not run off or cause an accident. Indeed there are a few, yes Barney, I’m talking about you, who will happily go through the ‘ouch’ in order to get to the great wild yonder !
A word of caution, don’t do what my friend Lesley did, took the collars off her dogs to take them for a walk but then carried them herself over the wire !!  She can confirm that the sensation was unpleasant but not terribly painful !!
Sue x
Poorpaws

Val says but my suggestion is to fence securely a small area and give the dog plenty of walks which everyone will enjoy