Tuesday 28 January 2014

Cats and donkeys

Hi Val,
Curry arrived back at the door a couple of  minutes ago and we can now relax, or Geoff can. He is the one to worry himself sick over our animals. The little fellow had been out of the house all day and no sign of him all evening. We were for ever opening the door and calling out for him…cats are so independent, aren’t they, and do just as they pleased. That little cat had been with us may be 6 weeks now and Geoff isn’t sure that he wouldn’t get lost out there at night….
Anyway here is some news about those donkeys. I called Mr Monier this morning , and he is clear, he doesn’t wish for his donkeys to be separated. He gave his male donkey to his best friend in Marseille a while ago to look after and the friend called him back after 3 weeks saying I am bringing your donkey back. He is not eating and has not eaten for the 3 weeks he’s been here. He is letting himself die…Mr Monier refused my offer to take one of his donkeys and I reassured him that I fully understood his feelings and that I agreed that the best thing for them is not to be separated. I said I would investigate around here, in Puylaroque if anyone would be interested in those donkeys. I made quite a few calls from a list given to me by Brigitte, the mayor’s secretary but I have not had much success. Donkeys are not worth anything and there is no-one with 4 hectares of vacant land ready for them…. It is such a shame as I believe they are very special indeed. The castrated male is the one to have made the “Ane de Provence” a recognized pedigree, 16 years ago in Paris, and Mr Monier has all the medals he won since with these animals….But like you said Val, there is that charity A.D.A.D.A that has accepted them if no-one is found around here, and there will be a guarantee that they won’t end up apart…..we can now turn that page .
Chat soon,
Martine
Val says Martine and I have been phoning and spending time wondering how we could help the donkeys. I had offered to have them whilst the elderly owner was in hospital and Martine had offered to take one. These options were really not acceptable as the donkeys cannot be separated and a long term solution is needed. A donkey refuge in the North of France has offered to take them so although the man wanted them nearby,  that is going to be the only option. Martine is wrong saying they are not worth anything, they have a price as donkey meat!