Saturday 25 October 2014

Linda Hatfield Fifi President and stalwart of the Folk'n'Jazz Club

1.What is your name and profession past or present ?
Hello, My name is Linda Hatfield. Prior to my retirement I ran my own computer business. Today I am the founder and President of FiFi Friends in France International
2.Do you have other family members here?
I don’t have any family here.

3.How long have you lived in France and are you here full or part
year?
I have lived full time in France for 12 years.

4. Do you have an activity or profession you wish to promote?
Yes I have several.

Firstly, FiFi (Friends in France International), which offers a range of activities locally for English-speaking women of all nationalities. Men are also included in some of our regular events, for example: wine tasting, quiz nights, history tours, annual dinners and outings. Pursuits for ladies range from creative writing, cooking and crafts to photography, poetry, book clubs and walking, to name just a few. Our singing group leads our Christmas Singalong and our annual clothes sale is very popular — both attract an increasing number of local residents. We enjoy monthly lunches together in different restaurants around the region and coffee mornings every Thursday; members also receive an informative monthly newsletter.

Within FiFi, we have Friends on Call, which has a register of volunteers ready to help members with emergencies — anything from being stranded if the car breaks down, to taking a member or her partner to hospital, picking up prescriptions or food and even cooking. We also temporarily take care of pets for a few days if a member is hospitalised. In essence we help with whatever is needed as good neighbours and friends.

If anyone would like more information, they may wish to look at our Websitewww.fifi82.org


Secondly, a special mention for. Folk n Jazz which is a lot of fun with dedicated resident singers: Trevor Carter, John Taylor and myself as well as many other performers including French singers and a musician. We meet every month at the Salle de Fete, Verfeil at 8pm on the last Thursday of the month. All are welcome and entry is free.
Find us on our Folk’n’Jazz Facebook page.  
nb this evening is on 30th of october this month
FiFi singing group run by Judith Reynolds is also a lot of fun, it’s for all abilities and we sing mainly popular songs. We are well known for our Christmas Songs evening in the Salle de Fete Verfeil and recently we sang at the WW1 commemoration concert in Varen
Voices Choir in Villefranche is a new discovery and I love learning to harmonise with popular songs in readiness for a concert next year. Our group is taught by Becky Brown who does an excellent job with 17 French and 3 English singers.


5. Would you say you are enjoying integrating, give examples?
I do enjoy meeting my neighbours and chatting with them, popping into the boulangerie or Bibliotheque where there is always someone to pass the time of day.
I have meetings with the Mayor about FiFi and Folk n Jazz. He is very helpful and corrects my French and laughs with me but not at me.
When walking the dog I sometimes meet la Chasse and my can they talk if there is no action going on. Giving English conversation to local adults also helps. Going to a repas solo is the best way to integrate but not easy.
Thankfully due to FiFi ladies teaching English to the village children, it has helped to break down barriers and it does in some ways bring us closer to our French neighbours.
6. Do you think you will stay in France for some time or forever.?
My life is here in France but now understand there are no guarantees with forever.

7.What activities do you enjoy?
There is no greater joy than walking my dog everyday come rain or shine.
I love going to concerts, theatre, cinema and opera. Entertaining friends is a most pleasurable pastime as well as enjoying FiFi and all the singing groups.  
8.Do you enjoy travel ?
I have had the good fortune to have travelled extensively to many countries but still need todiscover more of South America and would like to visit China and Russia. I love to discover new places near and far.

9. Have you got pets?
I have Rupert my chocolate standard poodle.

10.Is there anything you miss living in France?
Yes, just the usual John Lewis and M&S, buying on line is not the same but helps. Plays in English.