Saturday 25 October 2014

Be positive, say "corsican" / course i can

hi Val 
 I do agree with Ginny. Don’t be too hard on people who don’t speak much French. As Ginny and Hazel said, we all have different abilities and strengths. I studied languages at school and college, so am OK with French, but when it comes to music and painting, for example, I am useless – as the FiFi Singing Group would agree. You could find me the best music teacher in the world and send me on tour with the BBC Symphony Orchestra and the result would be the same – a noise that would make dogs howl. Thinking it must be possible to learn, I did once take piano lessons, but my repertoire starts and finishes with a short burst of Happy Birthday to You (using one finger). Just as those who struggle with French would love to be better, it’s not always possible.

Doreen

 Val says:
I am that person who could not learn French. I was thrown out of French class in third form and was so relieved to see the back of it. When we arrived in France I was happy that Malc a linguist could speak for me... well happy for a while. Thirteen years on and I am still struggling but gosh how I am improving. I will never be in a situation where I can say everything I want to... or will I?
Saying to people "oh you you will never learn" or accepting it when they say it to you shows a distinct lack of encouragement. Close friends of ours  know  how I have struggled but persevered.
I would be the last person to be critical of anyone's French but encourage anybody for trying.

Please do not give up ladies: be more positive within your group.

Malc as you know is disabled; he could not swim but wanted to sail with myself and daughter. In his thirties our daughter taught him to swim. He bought a one man boat, a Laser, and started racing. We called his boat "Corsican" as I used to stand on the bank shouting "course you can Malc", and he did.
For doubters start saying "corsican" instead of "I can't learn".
As Reggie Perrin's boss might have said "I didn't get where I am today by saying I cannot do it".

Speaking the language of the country where you live seems to me to be a fundamental need, not like singing, cooking, art, etc.
comments to taglines82@gmail.com