Thursday 23 October 2014

Nobody ever said it was easy

Nobody ever said it was easy says val
My French is not good but because I am making the effort and have returned to having lessons, doing my homework it is improving... but slowly.
Why am I doing  it: the only way to to integrate with the French is to speak their language.

And I want to have  a fulfilled life living in France; I want to fit in and be aware of what is happening. I do not want to annoy our French neighbours and friends by refusing to learn their language. It is not easy and I never profess to find it so. I am sorry you feel so threatened Hazel  by my wanting  to participate in the life of the country we are now making our home. I am sorry you are so threatened by young people in the village. I am so sorry that you think I have no humanity and as acid tongues go.....


Hello

Reading TAG where you, yet again, write of your mastery of the french language and your assertation that french must be spoken in order to integrate I feel I must now 'stand up' for those unable to grasp this form of education.

Spending 20 years working in adult education I know that peoples ability to learn fluctuates tremendously, with birth or financial status being no guarantee of a quick or agile brain.  We continually told our students that "no-one was good at everything" and it was up to the tutors to search out each persons 'gifts' and expand on their abilities in order for them to compete in a very competitive world.

I can't be the only person who cringes daily at your embarrassingly lack of sensitivity to the feelings of people in this situation.  The very people who could probably contribute interesting items to TAG if they weren't so frightened at your acid tongue and lack of humanity.

Hazel
comments to taglines82@gmail.com