Monday 23 November 2015

Nous sommes le lundi vingt trois novembre

The first heavy frost of the winter, the donkeys are hugging their shelter and looking hopefully up to the house for me to go with food. I will start giving them hay today. I did a test yesterday filling their stable with straw. They eat it all so I think they are ready for hay, their supplement when there is little grass.
This morning I have my Fifi poetry group and we are reading Laurence Binyon, Robert Laurence Binyon actually. He wrote the poem"For the Fallen" you know the one:
They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye,steady and aglow,
They were staunch to the end againsts odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe
They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Laurence Binyon composed this poem whilst sitting on a hill top looking out to sea from the dramatic Cornish coast. He was too old to enlist but lost several close friends and a brother in law.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com