Sunday 29 November 2015

That test is not a doddle

Hi Val,

 Ginny is right about not having to take the Test de Connaisance
de Francais if you are over 60 but...... She is very wrong about the
test being a doddle. I sat it in April and found it extremely hard.
Yes the test is multiple choice but you have to sit in a large room with
around 15 other people. The test is timed and there were 29 questions
in 25 minutes. Not too hard you would think but these questions start
easy and get progressively up to French fluency standard, where not only
do you have to understand fully the nuances of a fuzzy sounding clip but
read and understand (or hear and understand) 5 very long complex
sentences with similar meanings and then choose the right one. The
conversation part of the test was indeed a doddle but the first bit was
dreadful !
I was unfortunate when I took my test as a row broke out at the back of
the room with some candidates and the invigilator which I found very
distracting. All in all, a highly stressful day and one I was glad to
get over. Thankfully, I scored B2 on the test (B1 is the minimum
required for french citizenship) and therefore never have to go through
it again.
Anne in Castanet
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com