Sunday 22 November 2015

About Eritreans

Hi Val and Malc
About Eritreans: one of my nephews was sent to Eritrea as a UK VSO schoolteacher about 8 or 10 years ago, and he came back with a delightful and very hard-working Eritrean wife, who now has British nationality. They have visited us here. From them I understand that the present regime in Eritrea could more or less be described as very oppressive, even Stalinist, and that there is a fairly recent world-wide diaspora of Eritreans; our Eritrean seems to have family and friends all over the world.

A good book about Eritrea is "I Didn't Do It for You" sub-titled "How the World Used and Abused a Small African Nation", by Michela Wrong. I think we have a copy and I'll search for it.

Best wishes - Robin

PS I admire all the effort you are putting in on behalf of the refugees.

Val says  and I admire when you are still grieving you can think of others, thank you.
I said to Robin we have friends who say they are economic migrants, send them back and Robin who has spent a lot of his life working in Africa replied.

We have lived under military dictatorships, sometimes relatively benign but at other times brutal and repressive and have helped refugees escape in the past.
What is so wrong about being an economic migrant? If "our friends" had no work or income, they would soon become economic migrants themselves.

Best wishes - Robin
  Comments to taglines82@gmail.com