Thursday 7 August 2014

Lavender bags

Hi Val
I once bought quite a few lavender plants at a local Farmers Market in the UK. The stall holder had a Lavender farm about fifteen miles away and he told me that I should always cut back the lavender on the 8th August, which, when in the UK, I always did. I actually cut some back yesterday because it was well past it's best and the seed heads were black with the rain we have had I presume.

I want to make some Lavender bags as I believe they help to deter those fabric eating  mites that chewed a cashmere jumper I had! I was not sure whether the heads should be collected when in flower and left to dry or when the seeds had actually formed.

It may just be easier to buy some cedar balls, but I quite liked the idea of using something I had grown.
Sarah


Hi Val again

Googled it.

For Lavender Bags etc you should cut the stems when the  flowers have just come into bloom. Preferably in the evening after a warm day. Apparently that is when the essential oils are the most potent.

Missed the boat this year but at least I know what to do  next year.
Sarah
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com