Thursday 7 August 2014

Investigative reporting on young people in Verfeil sur Seye

We were already going to Charley's at Verfeil for lunch so I thought whilst there I would do some investigative reporting.
Whilst waiting for our starter I asked Charley where the old gendarmerie was and then popped out to have a look.
It is actually on the main road, well away from the centre of the village. There were young people at the windows cleaning and putting up curtains. The exact opposite side of the road was an elderly couple watering plants. I asked if the flats were rented over the road as a conversation piece. They replied " desolée Madame ils sont deja loués" I asked if they were rented to young people and they said " yes, they were mainly the young" They seemed quite happy with the arrangement.
I then rushed back for my meal.
Charley was extremely busy and his back and leg were playing up so I did not bother him but spoke to the two cooks and serving ladies.
Firstly I asked about the young renters in the village ( I told them it was for a piece I was writing for TAG)
The ladies both felt it was a good thing encouraging young people in to the village and were pleased that arrangements had been made to house them. They were just young people they felt and they disputed crime figures had gone up since the young had arrived. There are children and the children play in the Halle ( I went to look and there were games of hop  scotch  chalked on the floor of the interior. I did try having a go but discovered my knees were not up to it, but it brought back happy memories.)
They felt everyone old and young alike should look after their dogs more in the village and keep them at home. Charley has even put a notice up to this effect.
They were quite passionate that everyone had to learn to live together, like a family, they said with young and old sharing.
The positive aspects of having young about was a great thing for the village they both thought.
When I mentioned the smoking they both went with a shrug,  pff! bof! basically so what.

Val says If it was me, I would make a batch of ginger bisciuts and go out when the children were there and hand the tin around. Then I would show them how to tidy up the chalk games after playing and tell the children if they wanted to come and walk the dog with me I would really enjoy that. Perhaps there are friendships to be made here which could enrich everyone's life.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com