Sunday 12 October 2014

Are you still at the " oui oui" stage

When you start learning French the desire to admit you do not understand leads you often  to say ""ah, oui oui"  when really you have not an idea what has been said.
We know a couple who ended up with all sorts of things being made by their gardener that they did not want as rather than admitting they had not a clue just said yes to everything. OK you may think  more money than sense but it does happen.
Malc is very good at saying " could you repeat I do not understand" and his French is excellent. The more confident you are with the language the easier it seems to be to admit your lack of understanding.
I  am caught in the middle at the moment starting with the " oui oui" and then changing to "non, excusez- moi, j'ai n'a pas compris"
Surely the worst thing though is when you think you have understood and you realise you have made a blunder later. I think this must have happened with me and " the baker is dead scenario" pitfalls just waiting for the poor unwary blogger. (it has given us a few laughs though)
Then there was the time when a friend told me  sadly their dog "il est parti" and I said " don't worry he will come back" I think I had better stop there else blunders could fill the page.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com