Friday 19 September 2014

1000 farmers and 200 tractors met last night in Albi and dumped manure at the Prefecture

And it is all about nitrates polluting rivers.
In certain areas agriculteurs by law cannot dress the fields with fresh manure which is full of nitrates which then pass into the rivers. The manure needs to be left 6 months before being spread. The farmers say they will be massively hit in their pockets with this ban but I think it is a very short sighted view. Nitrates in rivers kill fish, wild life and poison whole areas.
I know the life of an agriculteur is a hard one but the government is looking at the larger picture of the environment and I am with them on this one.
If they also have rallies about them using pesticides I would also be against them and could become  "a granny eco warrior"
Val says again  I see that 300 agriculteurs protested at Montauban as well.