Wednesday 24 September 2014

Faith or religion?

Dear Val
Sorry if this is slower than some people might have hoped but we have been out all day and returned to a power cut.
There is no simple or short answer to Alex. However to me, much as Alex said, religion is something which is organised, represented by formal leaders, services and buildings. Faith is personal, solid and deep and involves belief in a single God, Gods or none. Many people with a deep faith are usually members of an organised religion and should not be mocked for that whether they are Roman Catholic, Anglicans, Hindu, Buddists or Muslims. Probably there are as many people within the framework of a formal religion doing much good and often putting their lives at risk as there are people using the name of a religion to spread fear and death in the name of that religion. 

I believe that as in a game of football, people working together are much more effective than those working on their own and people with faith exist just as much as football does and would not be confused with religion 
Ginny  
Val says I am not sure what readers feel, but Ginny has her religion which helps her, Alex is not a believer and I do not think is likely to be converted. I am not a believer but wish I was, but I do try to live up to the ten commandments. Surely having religion is good for some and as long as we all try our best in life  for our families and for others that is the important thing. I do not believe like Alex that religion is necessarily bad.
 Are we getting too deep?