Wednesday 13 August 2014

Dogs and cannabis

Hi Val, 

I would have written in French but it does take longer on my American keyboard and I am very busy at the moment.
Sunday, after the vide grenier in Laguepie, I decided to stop in Verfeil for the first time, to have a cup of coffee. When I got to the cafe I saw a sign on the wall in the public street telling me that everyone would be happier if I left my dog at home. If the cafe owner wants to keep his already desolate and unfriendly looking establishment sans chiens he can simply say defense de chiens on the entry to the cafe. But this sign on the street with it's arrogant assumptions regarding the happiness and well-being of others made me decide to pass by Verfeil next time my dog and I are in the area.  Fact is lots of people like having well-behaved, leashed dogs around, and my beautiful sweet malamute dog brings smiles to the faces of French people young and old, many who  want to stop and pet the 'loup".  Luckily most cafes, such as those in St Antonin,  are happy to welcome well-behaved dogs and their paying customers in the outdoor seating.

But this story touches on something I was surprised and saddened  to find after moving to France, that France is a repressive, regressive country in certain ways and  that many of its residents are close-minded, natives and non-natives alike.  I would like to inform these people that where I am from in Oregon (en Etats-Unis,) it is the old people who can often be found smelling like cannabis since it is scientifically proven that a moderate use of this plant has many health benefits such as relief from arthritis pain and the prevention of Alzheimer 's, and so, more and more, cannabis is becoming legalized for this reason and others. How is it that the smell of cannabis can be considered so unacceptable,  but that the smell of tobacco, a proven killer with no health benefits whatsoever, is considered acceptable? How would all of the tobacco smokers in Verfeil feel if they were judged as undesirable people because they smell  of tobacco,  a smell that many people, like myself, find repugnant? The hypocrisy here...c'est flagrant evidement.
As for you Val, you have my support for being a voice of reason and fairness. And if anyone doesn't like hearing that voice they can go do all the work that you do to offer news and information on their own blog.
Jeannine

Val says thank you for your support Jeannine, much appreciated.
The dog situation at Verfeil has been a problem for Charley, many dogs of the villagers hanging around putting off customers. Something did need to be done and I am sure he has no worries about having dogs on leads.
A good point about the cannabis .
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com