Wednesday 13 August 2014

Three people give their opinions

Hi Val
My name is Doreen and I read the Daily Mail. There, I’ve said it. I’ve come out. If I were spotted 
reading Fifty Shades of GrayLady Chatterley’s Lover or even aOne Direction fan magazine, no one 
would bat an eyelid and would probably ask to borrow them after I’d finished. But to admit to reading 
the Mail elicits gasps of horror and will now probably see me  banned from reading TAG. Admittedly
 I mostly read the online version, which I do in secret in the privacy of my own home.
It’s not that I’m scared to be seen going into the Presse and coming out with my shameful purchase, 
hidden in a brown paper bag, but it’s quite expensive to buy a copy in France and you don’t even 
receive the free Lulu or Tom Jones greatest hit CDs or the Prince George souvenir brochure.
 No, I’m mean and read it free online.
At work, I had to scan all the newspapers every day, so could indulge my secret vice. OK, I 
did often get angry — the Mail’s hatred of civil servants was unreasonable, but it does have a 
lot less typos than the Guardian. In various jobs, I got to know some of the national newspaper 
journalists quite well and theMail’s were definitely a lot less pretentious than some.
I don’t try to tell people what they should read or watch on TV, so why am I made to feel guilty 
about reading a particular newspaper? It doesn’t mean I agree with everything that is written in it, 
and I read other papers too. I just keep an open mind.

Hi there
My name is Val and I secretly love Gerard Depardieu films, remember him in Jean de Floret, 
Cyrano de Bergerac,
Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, and recently as  Obélix in Asterix. A film will be released before too
long  where Depardieu plays DSK, a must see film I would think. I resent being told that I should not
like the man, who said that, OH! gawd it was me. I must keep a more open mind.

Hi Val
My name is Malc and I am the sub editor of TAG. I hate being told to do the ironing, men should not
be made to do these demeaning jobs. I have bought Val a new ironing board so I can leave her happily
ironing  and then nip on the net and  secretly read  the Daily Mail. Val thinks her blog is supposed to
be amusing, but some just do not get it. But if you want a good laugh the Daily Mail is the place.
I will not be told to do the ironing
- free will for all, my motto.

Val says the only thing that concerns me in this post is putting 50 Shades of Grey in the same
 sentence as Lady Chatterley's Lover, just does not seem right somehow.

Comments to taglines82@gmail.com