Monday 23 September 2013

Gardeners question time

Saturday and Sunday mornings on France Inter radio, around 7.15 to 7. 30am  ish- there is a gardeners question time featuring Alain Baraton the head gardener at Versailles. Listeners send questions which he answers. Being a keen gardener I find this quite useful.
In fact he has helped me make a decision about a lovely white wisteria I have growing around a balcony on the gite. It has just started flowering in the last two years but this year the flowers were not as prolific as last year. The reason it would appear is that I cut back all the new growth and that is where the flowers would come, on the new not the old growth.
The wisteria has become a problem to family and renters using that terrace as it seems to attract ants and mosquitoes. Also it cuts out a lot of the beautiful views and repeat renters have started asking if I could trim it back.
Today my task is to cut back all the branches,(which will mean I will not get flowers next year ) and then in October dig it out and move it to a South facing wall where it will have the chance to run riot without being cut back.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com