Friday 23 December 2016

Guyane / Guyana

Hi Val

You've got me confused now.  I thought lovely Alicia Aylies was Miss Guyane, 2017  -  "Guyane" (ending in e) being French for what we Brits refer to as French Guiana, which is one of the Departements-d'outre-Mer (DOMs), along with Réunion, Guadeloupe, Martinique and the little new (2010?) one the other side of Madagascar from Réunion, whose name I haven't yet learned. 

Isn't Guyana (ending in a) what we now call British Guiana, squeezed up against Venezuela, west of Surinam?  By contrast, I believe Guyane is east of Surinam, next to Brazil.  Surinam itself, back in colonial times, used to be called Dutch Guiana, did it not?  

xC    
Val says  this is where I pass the buck!! Malc who wrote the post agrees you are more than likely right.   x