Monday 4 August 2014

Prize winning family chutney on the boil this afternoon.

My Mother's chutney was delicious, most things she cooked were, but she guarded the chutney recipe passed down from Aunty Meg till just before her death.
Years ago I entered a pot in to the local show, in her name, in a village near where we lived at Henley. It won first prize and when I phoned Mum to tell her she was quite matter of fact and  said " well of course it won."
The chutney story goes further in that when my sister was known to have not long to live with her cancer, she started a family cookbook. She never lived to finish it but Tudor, her husband finished it on her behalf as a tribute and I put in Mother's family recipe " Winnie's  Prize Winning Chutney"
Now she would probably be turning in her grave to know I am passing it on to you and even the possible French person, but the recipe is so good I will let you in on it. Please do not tell my sister who lives in Spain, thats all I ask!
The recipe is on lined paper, foxed with age and is still in pounds and ounces but simple to convert
2lb tomatoes
2lb  cooking apples
11/2  lb of moist  brown sugar
1lb of raisins
1lb of dates
2oz of ground ginger, or a bit more
2 pts of vinegar
2oz of salt,
1tsp of cayenne pepper
2oz mustard seed
1lb of onions
Peel and core the apples. Put all the ingredients through a mincing machine. Boil altogether until tender and roughly takes 3 hrs.
The mincer was one of those you attached to the table and turned a handle,but works just as well in a food processor.
Winnie's Prize winning chutney handed down from  Aunty Meg.
Malc has just said in shocked horror, " are you giving everyone your Mums recipe?"
Val says  it has made 11 jars  and is delicious.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com