Thursday 22 August 2013

Corsican or Course I can.

Seeing this photo made me realise that Malc's tablecloth was  being used at the Regatta, notice the crochet on the edging it reads ''CORSICAN'' or Course I can. When I was windsurfing and sailing [eons ago] and our daughter was sailing, Malc was always the Sailing Secretary of our Civil Service sailing club. At that point he could not swim and being disabled with only one leg did not think sailing was for him. One day he admitted he fancied  having a go,  so our daughter gave him swimming lessons. Once he had learned to swim, he first tried my ''Topper'' and then moved on to our daughters ''Laser''. I can tell you it is not easy sailing a one man sailing dinghy with one leg, but Malc was out there every Sunday  and in no time at all competing in the racing. That is where the Corsican comes in, I  used to stand on the bank shouting encouragement  ''Course you can Malcolm'' which made Malc start shouting back at me  ''Course I can''. His boat when he got his own, guess what he called it?  ''Corsican''
Val says for tell me more    It would be a great story if I  could say Malc went on to win the club  championship but he never did. In fact I found him a nightmare when he was racing ''always going round the mark and taking my water when he had no sailing rights to it. We ended up every Sunday night with little plastic boats on the dining room table, showing how one or other of us had broken the rules. We never took each other to the protest committee but we were never far off!.
comments to taglines82@gmail.com