Sunday 23 June 2013

The path of the righteous, or is it " self righteous"

Ever since we arrived in France there has always been a small faction of what I can only describe as self righteous people. You will know the ones I mean, they start immediately in any group accessing your level and mastery of French, and they of course all mix with French friends because their French is  so perfect. They then pontificate about how you have to speak the language and decry any in their midst if they have not yet mastered the nuances of French. I have sat through many a tirade feeling sorry for often elderly compatriots who want to learn French but struggle, things are just not so easy for the elderly. One man actually said to me " So what is he saying I am not allowed to live in France as I cannot yet speak the language"  What is always interesting is the ones who pontificate about mixing, speaking French are often the ones who do not have a rapport with people in any language. I can think of two people who have more French friends than you can imagine simply by joining French clubs, smiling and being charming. Their French will come in time but let us give them a chance.
My  level of French is passable by the way  and improving steadily, and I love being in a gathering be it with French, Dutch, German or English  friends.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com