Tuesday 25 June 2013

Happy in my skin, even though old and wrinkly

Malcolm would say I have a happy disposition, I know that as I have just asked him. What brought this question about? Well a lovely Dutch friend, no irony here, mentioned to me that she was concerned I introduced myself to Dutch people as Val. Well I would,  it is after all my name and I am more a Val than a formal Valerie. Apparently Val in Dutch means or has the sound of " old skin" , not far from the truth then. She could not understand that I did not mind, call me "old wrinkly " as long as you like me (that does not apply to you Malc, just so we have that clear ) An acceptance of what and who we are should not just be down to the way we look, but I did rile a bit at the next tale.
We had renters from England and one evening one of the chaps came to ask us about bike hire. We did have information in the gite pack but as I know we have Velovista at La Fouillade in the adverts on TAG, I said "give me a jiffy whilst I look it up on my TAG magazine." Whilst I was tapping it in the chap looked on in amazement and then said " I am astonished that someone of your generation (he was about 40)  is computer literate and can have a blog!" Malc was passing through and as my jaw had dropped open and I was momentarily speechless, Malc volunteered "it is amazing what us oldies can do". We had been out late the night before and lack of make up must have given him the impression of talking to "an eighty year old dear"  So maybe ''Val old skin '' is quite appropriate!
I am a mere 67 if you wish to discuss it and Chas who likes to tick anything to be controversial, please tick enjoyed if you  want to and I hope everyone enjoys a smile and ticks away.
I do like TAG to be called a magazine rather than blog
To those who may think mentioning an ''80 year old dear''  may be ageist and patronising, my apologies now, no need to write to me. We will all be 80 years olds one day and some of us may be dears -  if we are very lucky.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com