Wednesday 21 October 2015

a batch of Kittens

Dear Val,
I have the grey kitten’s tortoiseshell sister . I collected her from Joanne on Sunday and chose her because she was subdued, sneezing & looked very poorly despite Joanne’s care. Her sibling was in fine fettle and far too busy to stop for  cuddles & strongly objected to being treated with Frontline.( I carry a spray in my car in case I have to pick up a stray hunting dog) . However, after 24 hours with me “Pansy”was still sneezing & looked no better altho’ I had  wormed her  - with dramatic results.  So...a visit to the vet who diagnosed cat flu’( Coryza)   & gave her 2 shots –one  of anti-biotics and the other an anti-inflammatory. I was also given the feline equivalent of Friar’s Balsalm which she has to inhale twice daily after having her nostrils cleared. A cat  is reluctant to eat if it  cannot smell its food so in fact I  wipe her nose every two hours or so.
I have just spoken to Joanne who been to a different vet. and the grey sibling has been given a clear bill of health and turns out it to be a girl weighing 1kilo 500 grams but too young (about 6 weeks according to her  vet) to be vaccinated .  “Pansy” weighs 950grams and is deemed too fragile  to be vaccinated, she is  about 2-4months old according to her vet. And now Anke has found yet another kitten in the same area. Can they all be from the same litter or has someone rounded up a barn’s worth  of kittens and just dumped them?
Love, S
PS.The grey girl is actually grey with peach streaks  and is a great entertainer. 
Sally de M
Val says  yet another softie is Sally. Our Max was also such a weedie individual but what a feisty charmer he is now, 9 years on.