Saturday 13 September 2014

Ladybirds Les Coccinelles

Hello Val and Malcolm
It's always a pleasure to observe these little beetles in the garden. I have found that the best time to photograph them is in the morning before they have fully warmed up as they are not as wriggly.  Ladybirds are natural pesticides and consume aphids and scale insects to keep all you keen gardeners happy.  You might think that their bright colour would attract the attention of hungry predators but in fact the colour serves as a warning stating "I am not a tasty snack".

These photos are taken using my trusty Nikon 100mm macro lens.  What that means in reality is that I can get close up and take life size pictures, which is really handy when ones eyesight starts to fail.  I am there crouched down in all the early morning dew, getting soaking wet, juggling camera and tripod alike and then when getting up into a more conventional homo-sapiens position, I get pins and needles. Oh! the things I go through; but I enjoy the results, so in my book it is worth it.

Nev
More from Nev in photos
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com