After Bartoli had beaten German player Sabine Lisicki, Inverdale asked his colleagues on the commentary team: "Do you think Bartoli's dad told her when she was little: 'You're never going to be a looker, you'll never be a Sharapova, so you have to be scrappy and fight'?"
Bartoli said later: “It doesn't matter, honestly. I am not blonde, yes. That is a fact. Have I dreamt about having a model contract? No. I'm sorry. But I haved dreamed about winning Wimbledon?
Good for you Marion and I bet your Dad is so proud.
( Malc says he is worried that as it is my day off and he is taking over today that readers will think this post was written by him. I would like to then put my name to it, and I am now getting ready for a day in Toulouse)
Val
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com
Hi Dear Val (and slightly less expensive Malcolm)
We'll I'm male, and I certainly think the guy was being a plonker! Truth is, these conversations probably go on all the time. If a woman says it, it's catty; if it comes from a man, it's non-PC. I can only imagine Inverdale forgot he was talking to millions of tennis followers at the time. Anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, male or female, is it not?
Chris