Monday 21 December 2015

Asylum papers are urgent

Sitting having a quiet moment up at Rehoboth, a lovely real Christmas tree in the corner of the dining room brought up by Dutch supporter Eleanor.
The boys apparently have been filling in asylum forms in which they have to say why they cannot go back to their respective countries. The fear of being killed is the reason, nothing to do with economic reasons.
Struggling to write this as one young lad after another comes to talk. I like that and am happy to put my ipad aside and listen to them.
One rolls up his trousers to show me the two bullet wounds he had in his leg, Anais tells me he has more on his body. This is the young man whose best friend was hung in the street.
I read one of the documents but stopped  half way not able to read more of torture, death and suffering.
Another lad comes to see if I can get the three lads in their room a laptop, as if laptops grew on trees. They think TAG can come up with anything. Apparently all rooms except theirs has a laptop now  shared between 3 boys in the room.
Then suddenly I am surrounded by young men who want to show me their pictures on their phones. It is important to show me where they come from, their families, their countries. Nobody left their families willingly, all have stories you just cannot believe. Many middle class, mostly educated lads. They love what TAG is doing for them and all want to feature.  I have an ipad full of photos of their stories. The pictures of dead, horribly injured family and friends I asked them not to send, just too upsetting. I will try also not use names to stories as the lads safety is paramount.
I have left Malc on duty and came home early, the pets needing letting out and a bit of attention.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com