Sunday 7 September 2014

Lovely evening at Puycelsi

Our group of eight who left Varen and Milhars in two cars had a real mix of nationalities, English, French and Dutch. We were off to Puycelsi for one of the renowned concerts organised by Ross and Ginny Jenkins to raise money for the restoration  of the church of Saint Corneille at Puycelsi.
It is my favourite church in the area and I am so pleased that compatriots are working as they do to aid the restoration.
These concerts are, actually HAVE become the highlight of cultural events in the area. Coming out of the church I happened to chat to some English holiday makers who on talking to me about the evening agreed we did not live in a cultural desert with evenings like that.
Mark Opstad was brilliant, how does he bring all the choirs together in such a short time, he has two days to work his magic.
Nicholas O' Neill on the organ was a dream and played one of his newly composed pieces.
Zena Baker was the soprano and Alfredo Poesina the tenor, Bruno Vincent the bass.
Sitting near the front looking up at the nave and ceiling I cannot think of a lovelier way to spend an early evening.
We did have a few giggles when an Englishwoman said to Betsie a Dutch friend, "do you know your husband is the spitting image of James Fox" Betsie had to then explain Malc was not her partner but the lady sitting next to her was,  and also she had never heard of James Fox.
Malc could not wait to get out in the milling crowd and tell me, James Fox indeed, more like Basil Brush!
In the milling crowds many readers thanked me for TAG and said how much they enjoyed it. Everyone seems to get crosser with TAG complainants than I do. I only have to listen to most people's comments to me to know I am getting it right.
Great evening and we are now looking forward to another concert on 18th October again at Puycelsi
with  the Maitrise of Toulouse, Conservatoire of Toulouse under the direction of Mark and wait for...
Requiem de Gabriel Fauré, Requiem de Tomas Luis de Victoria , music to commemorate the first world war.
When can we start booking tickets  Ross and Ginny?
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com