Friday 11 July 2014

A debate is underway, but keep it clean.

Hello Val
I have recently arrived in France and am an avid reader of your very interesting blog.  However I am at a loss as to why you are struggling with what language to speak if you have an English friend and are within earshot of French natives.  If you transpose the situation and imagine that you are a French person with a French friend in England within earshot of English natives then it is far easier to reach a conclusion.
Surely, I don't need to spell it out?
Yours,
Alex

Val says thank you so much for a reply Alex, I do struggle to get replies when I ask. 
I do think it needs spelling out though. You are of the opinion, along with Malc that in that instance, two English people together speaking English is OK. 
Two people, not English think differently.
I am on the fence on this one.
A debate about our use of language is underway.
Malc says " If I am in the market and meet friend David and say, in French , " he was caught at short square leg again,  wasn't he?" what would the French make of that?"
Val says please do not try saying it to me, I'd worry about your sanity!
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com