Monday 28 July 2014

Espinas, Fenaisons à l'ancienne

Espinas fete in the summer is one of the best around the area. The Fenaisons has through the day ancient agricultural machinery, alongside heavy horses set up for ploughing, caleche rides and always a wonderful atmosphere.
On the evening of 16th August a group  occitane called Nadau who are very well known to the French come and sing, all our French friends are going (and some English) and Espinas will be packed.
Last year the group came to Laguepie and if it was because we were right at the back of the crowds and struggled to hear and could not understand the occitane jokes and their was more talking than singing I was out of my depth (I felt it was just like the French must feel when they listen to us speak English and tell jokes in their presence ... totally lost)
I think whereas I love " Bombes 2 bal" and their dancey music  for me Nadau and  jokes in Occitane are a step too far for an evenings entertainment, but do not let me put you off, the music is good and everyone has different reactions.
The group are on at 21.30h reservation 0643477587  restauration sur place 19h
On the 17th of August at 10.30 there will be a mass in Occitan
11.30 an apero gratuit
15h the fenaisons d' antan
20h30 Grand repas campagnard
Adults 16 euros  Reservations as above. or comitédesfetesdeespinas@orange.fr

Just writing this post made me remember last year and how difficult it can be if you do not understand the language. I was invited to an evening with Dutch friends once and they all could not help speaking there own language, once again I was lost and remember trying to smile when they all laughed, it is a most rotten experience. Imagine how the French must feel in their own country being invited to be with English speakers and then listening to everyone speak a language you do not understand. We have to consider this and put ourselves in their shoes. No good saying " the French do it to us" ( believe it or not this has been said to me!) We are living in France for heavens sake.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com