Wednesday 9 April 2014

Les Roms and the problem

French police harass and sometimes use excessive violence against Roma people and don’t always take the necessary measures to protect the group's makeshift communities, according to a new report from rights watchdog Amnesty International.
France continues to pursue a controversial policy of forcibly evicting Roma from their camps, often paying them to return to their countries of origin, mainly Romania and Bulgaria. The Roma are European citizens and have the right to be in France, so the expulsions have drawn repeated rebukes from the European Commission.
Val says apparently "Les Roms" is the name used to bundle the gypsies, Romanians and Bulgarians together as a group. I am told by my French teacher. Sadly " les Roms" get a bad press because there are certainly groups of them who set out to steal. It is a shame this influences our opinion of the  whole group and I am no different to others. If I saw a group of " Roms" I would clutch my purse tighter than normal, but I would not want les Roms as a whole to be stigmatised. I wish I knew the answer.
Val says reading that post again I think I am stigmatising the 3 groups by joining them together under the one label  " Les Roms"