Thursday 26 December 2013

Squelching round the fields on Boxing Day

What a good descriptive word squelching is, that sound as you pull your welly in and out of the muddy turf with the squelch, squelch.
Well both Malc and I will be squelch, squelching with the donkey chums this morning. A big task ahead of us both, with the stable needing thoroughly mucking out. Do you know it is a very physical job I like doing and I will be working off some of that christmas lunch which is still making me feel full.
In the stable the donkeys mill around even though you tell them to wait outside, the smell of donkeys is overpowering but it is not one I mind. When we have got the stone floor thoroughly clean, we can put in some nice hay, called paille in French. When it is all laid in deep mounds the donkeys come in to munch and so you always allow a bit extra, so there is still plenty left to sleep on.
The donkey pooh will go on the manure pile but I think I will leave the old hay/ paille at the entrance to the hut to be squelched into the muddy puddles.
We have an invitation out mid afternoon but we will be washed and scrubbed up before going partying.
What have you got planned today ? and I bet you do not fancy swapping, however good I make cleaning stables out sound.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com