Thursday 18 December 2014

Photovoltaic panels at Lexos

Hi Val,

As you know, I started taking pictures of the construction works in Varen to build a photovoltaic power station. Yesterday, the site manager told me that they only started the work in October but expect the site to be producing electricity by mid-January. I have been there on two days now and the speed of work is incredible. When I visited on Monday they were installing the solar panels in one zone at the highest point on the site and on Wednesday they were at the lowest point and making speedy progress. I’m sure there is a lot of technical stuff to do yet but they are certainly moving quickly. Unfortunately the weather has been atrocious for the last few days and this is reflected in the pictures I have taken so far. The land around the site is a sea of mud more reminiscent of Flanders in 1914 than S. West France in 2014. I was loaned a pair of Wellington (?) boots to wear around the site and was glad of these as the mud  nearly came up to the top of the boots when walking around. when the works are finished, the site will be cleaned up and landscaped. I’m not sure how much you will actually see from your house as two of the four zones seem to be shielded by the terrain. The solar panels all face south so you might see some strips of aluminium frame but that is all.  I am still stunned that an 8.18 Megawatt power station can be built in three months in the middle of nowhere using about 30 people. 
Best wishes
Gareth
Val says many thanks Gareth, I am sure this will interest readers. The panels are laid in the land of the old cement factory Lafarge. We welcomed the idea but wondered if they would affect our stunning views. Because they are quite low they are hidden by folds in the landscape. Malc says they are not connected yet but from what Gareth says by mid January will be in operation.