Tuesday 9 December 2014

I know why the caged bird sings

Val says  - yesterday morning I was with the Fifi poetry group reading and enjoying poems by Maya Angelou. My favourite has to be  " I know why the caged bird sings" I was going to print it for you till I noticed it was still in copyright so If you like the sound of it just google. The extract that I have given gives you the flavour of it. Freedom so important to us all, even a caged bird. 
How does it relate to France Val, I hear you ask? Well think, Liberty, Equality and Fraternity. Liberty is Freedom.

But a bird that stalks 
down his narrow cage 
can seldom see through 
his bars of rage 
his wings are clipped and 
his feet are tied 
so he opens his throat to sing. 

The caged bird sings 
with fearful trill 
of the things unknown 
but longed for still 
and his tune is heard 
on the distant hill 
for the caged bird 
sings of freedom 

Comments to taglines82@gmail.com