Saturday 5 July 2014

At the market with my clip board.

Manfully on my own till others in the team had got their shopping done, I soon realised a change of tactic was needed in talking about the Salon du Jardin.
At first shoppers thought I was selling something, sign here for photo electric panels, or something equally annoying, but I  was not a sales women in an earlier manifestation with out learning some tricks. Selling books is like selling anything else, try selling a Beatrix Potter to a Japanese Museum... dead easy.
So I approached people to say " Are you in Varen on the 19th." That quickly sorted out the holiday makers from residents and then I was in " for the kill"
Yes, you are here, ah! you don't have a garden but do you have a hobby? You like baking, there you go,why not  make a cake... and so the morning went on as I talked to French, English,Dutch  and Australian.
The rest of the team joined me later for a full onslaught attack and we all felt by the end we had received many positive responses.
Many of the villagers applauded the initiative of the group and I loved the sense of belonging with all the different nationalities. I did notice Malc talking about  " le foot" more than the Salon!

We did smile when a french friend said " how have you have managed to make the rules so complicated, just like French bureaucracy ?" Malc joked back" ah, we got them off a government website, rules 46, amendment b,  then checked with the syndicate of fun, who then passed us on to the prefecture before signing in triplicate"
Marcia spreading the word in the marketplace
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com