Thursday 31 October 2013

What have I done, two more coming tomorrow!

Today was the first chance we have had since our return from Spain to let the donkeys who had been kept in a small corral to stop them escaping, back into the big field.
We have spent days redoing the electric fencing over the last few weeks and it is lovely being confident that the girls are safe.
Or it would be lovely if that were true, they wandered their way in when we opened the gate and then kicked their sabots and were off at a gallop down to the bottom of the field and straight through the bushes. Malc and I looked at each other in amazement, and said " so that is where the little beggars are getting out" not through the electric fencing at all.
We had so many plans for this afternoon, all which had to be cancelled, as we walked off  looking for them. A neighbour said he had seen them go of down the road so we got the car out and drove off on the trail. We found them trotting along the road, out on a spree, looking really happy. When I got out of the car they turned and came back to me, running up and standing still whilst I put on their collars and leads. I then walked both of them back up the road  with Malc driving behind me.
Now any normal person would be saying "enough is enough" but all I can think is the little darlings came back to me without their food buckets - they love me.
Even Malc was impressed with them, when he could have been fed up.
As long as they are still in the field tomorrow where I have put up more electric fencing round the bushes,  then life will be good.
... and tomorrow Coco and Filou, two new little donkeys arrive. What have I done?
On a different note, a musical one - the  hen Scratch who loves playing  at the door of the hen house " you put your  left leg in and your  left leg out, left leg in and shake it all about and cackles at the same time, you did not know there was more to hens than a tasty chicken dinner did you? Scratch is not a pretty hen so maybe she feels putting on a show will make her a popular pet, whereas her only role in life  is egg laying - not on the stage.
Update  The girls were still in the field this morning - yipee!
comments to taglines82@gmail.com