Sunday 28 June 2015

Gorge du Tarn

Dear Val and Malcolm,
On a whistle-stop tour of the Gorge du Tarn we arrived at the Point Sublime viewpoint.  Here there were some people alternately taking each others photos; a nice bit of co-operation going on.  I even picked up on a new verb "reculer" (step back) so even the French say the same as us when their backs are facing a 500 metre drop.

After they had finished I set up the camera and tripod and straight away I was asked (in French) "is that a good position?".  I looked round and found that a couple had stayed and the lady was taking an interest in what I was doing, probably as she had a similar camera.  I said (also in French), "I hope, only time will tell."  Well that was that, and a torrent of French followed, so taking a deep breath (I often bite off more than I can chew) I jumped in.  I explained that this location (pointing with one hand) coupled with this lens (pointing with the other), which has a really wide angle would enable me to get the whole of the gorge in without having to take several pictures and join them together later.  "Here," I said "take a look through the lens and you will see."

She was really quite funny laughing all the time, rather infectious and I found myself laughing along with her and her husband. They were up from Perpignan for a few days and were touring
along the gorges.  "Have you a Facebook page for your photos?" she asked, I explained "I do but I post my pictures on Flickr, do you know that site?"  She did and wanted to know my name if it did not "deranger" me.  Ooops what the heck is "deranger"  luckily Mum and Louise turned up and explained that deranger is to upset or that sort of thing.  Okay no problem, "I do not deranger easily," I said, so she sent her hubby off to the car for a pen and paper and we swapped details.

As I was looking at her name I wanted to verify that one letter was an R, yes it is an R as I am Spanish, we looked perplexed, "Don't worry, I am a little crazy," she said and we all laughed and she is actually Spanish.  We continued in that vein for a while with odd comments thrown in for good measure like she has two dogs and three tortoises.  So we parted ways and that was another French lesson under my belt and a couple of verbs to add to the list.

Nev

Comments to taglines82@gmail.com