Tuesday 24 March 2015

Life has its ups and downs

A picture arrived at TAG from the St. Antonin dog catchers and rehomers with an urgent plea "Val will you be a famille d'acceuil to a dog just found,  who needs a home." The picture showed a huge skinny hound with the longest legs. Malc and I looked in horror at the dog and I emailed back and said a definite NO it is not possible, he s just too big for us.
When a couple of days earlier we had said we would foster to help the girls out of a sticky period we had a list of cute dogs, labrador puppies, yorkie, spaniel and old border collie, but a huge possible alsation never crossed our minds.  (I have always been a bit scared of alsations)
I then received another email asking if I would put the details on TAG. I did this knowing in the short term the dog did not have a hope. We kept getting messages telling us to pass on how gentil and loving he was and he was at our local vets at Laguepie.. and it may only be for a few days.
So we cracked and went to look at him. A  sorrier sight has never met your eyes, but eyes were the thing that shone out of this great bag of bones. It was uncomfortable to stroke him, his bones stick out so much. He was too ill to bring home yesterday. Today I am hoping he will be up to it and this morning I will go and see how he is. If not well enough to leave the vet's care I will try and give him a bit of fresh air and a walk around the nearby car park.
I do not know about adopt a puppy, they must be easier to find homes for, I am going to start "Adopt an elderly dog"  day and for us it might be that day.

Val says well the good news he is holding up, eating a little now and performing bodily functions. He is still being kept in the vets on a drip and tonight he will have another blood test. The concern is for his kidneys. I was allowed to give him a ten minute walk where he met Bonny without any problem. We will hopefully go tomorrow and pick him up.
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com