Friday 27 March 2015

And they keep coming

Two weeks ago I saw Bilou on the streets in Lez, lying in the middle of the road,. I asked my friend who lives there about him and learned he showed up in Lez about 4 years ago, with a female dog, probably his sister. She disappeared after a while, hit by a car maybe? and this lovely boy just stayed around! He has been fed by a farmer, but nobody has really been responsible for him for the past years. He was also hit by a car last summer, breaking his leg/pelvis and healed without any veterinairy treatment! He does have a bad limp, but seems to have adapted to that.
I took him home today, because I could see him being killed the next time,. I talked to the farmer, who is the closest thing to an 'owner' and he was very happy for him to leave and be fed by someone else! I can't blame him, because he never chose to have this dog and he has done his best for him anyway..
He is very friendly, very cuddly and loves people! As most hunting dogs, not a agressive bone in his body! I checked him over, looked at his teeth, moved his sore leg, carried him into the car and had him on a lead with no problems at all. He has been fine today with all my animals, even in the goat/sheep paddock, around the chickens and with my own dog. As a former professional dog trainer, I can tell already he would make a lovely pet for someone! I will keep him for a while, have him castrated, wormed, chipped and vaccinated and teach him some basic commands, but I would prefer not to keep him, since I am in the process of selling my house and have a lot of animals to care for already. 
Who is going to give this lovely little hunting dog a forever home? I would be available for advice/training and look after him during holidays if needed!
Anke

please contact me at anke.terbruggen@orange.fr