Sunday 24 March 2013

Shout out loud, we love France


What do I love about living in the French countryside?


Two things for starters:


Top of the list has to be "la politesse". I just love the fact that

every transaction however small, every meeting absolutely must begin

with a cheerful "bonjour" at the very least. Everyone takes time to be

polite including the youngest children and young people. It took us a

while to get the hang of it - being English - I well remember my first

visit to a doctor here. Being used to a doctors appointments where eye

contact was rare and speed was the most important factor I  rehearsed

the details of my ailment , went in a launched into my speech. The

doctor sat patiently looking at me until I stopped and then said quietly

" bonjour Madam" and I had to start again.

We were in England last weekend and I really noticed the difference in

shops and on the street and I really missed it. We got some strange

looks from some cashiers at the supermarkets after our cheery hellos.


The markets - our visit to the fabulous market in Villefranche is a

highlight of every week for me. Fresh seasonal produce, loads of local

producers buzzing activity and full of characters. A far cry from the

overpriced and overhyped so called farmers markets in England, I don't

know how the French have managed to hold on to the tradition but long

may it continue. Our dentist in Villefranche, when fixing an appointment

on a Thursday will always ask if you want to come before or after the

market ( she goes before she opens the surgery). Walking around the

market last week in the Spring sunshine I realised, not for the first

time, that I am so lucky to have a lifestyle which includes things which

used to be holiday treats.

Sent by Sue Carter
Comments to taglines82@gmail.com