Thursday 21 February 2013

Elly Wright contributes a picture for Africa

http://www.ellywrightart.com
A Traveller's Dream

Profile Elly Wright
Paintings about Africa
These paintings are in acylic on canvas. The Traveller's Dream measures 90x90cm and Medina 72x61cm. They were both sold a few years ago. They formed part of a whole series of work inspired by travels through North Africa.
About my work
My work is a response to  my surroundings; travel  and both locations where I work, in Oaks Park on the outskirts of London and in a converted stable in rural South West France, offer ample opportunity to observe and experience flowers, seedheads, weeds and leaves, but also soak up the atmosphere and be immersed in the wider landscape.
Never truly representational, my paintings are both traces and re-interpretations of the impressions accumulated in my memory. I am moved by colour, shape and pattern, all elements which might kick-start a new piece of work, which is then allowed to follow its own direction. I find colour very seductive and I use it to introduce an emotional dimension, to express or emphasize a mood, but also purely for its sensual pleasure.
About myself
Born in Amsterdam, I was introduced at a very young age to museums and galleries by my grandfather. Early exposure to such artists as Rembrandt, Vermeer, Miro, van Gogh and Mondriaan developed my passion for painting. I have lived in Britain for many years and for more than 20 years also in South West France. I studied painting and drawing at the City Literature Institute, London and obtained a BA Honours in Visual Art from Chelsea college of Art and Design, London.
In addition to pursuing personal concerns in my paintings, I undertake commissions and have created work for private clients in UK, France and the Netherlands. I also have a special interest in making work in response to a particular location, such as the Brixton Lido, or Tentazione, a trendy restaurant in London's Docklands area. I regularly exhibit in UK and SW France and more recently in the USA and Norway.
Further infromation and examples of my work can be found on my website http://www.ellywrightart.com
and also on the site of Art en France http://www.art-en-france.eu/ellywright.html
Comments to   taglines82@gmail.com