Friday 4 May 2012

Old Wives' Tale , it certainly is not.

If you want to get yourself into trouble try asking someone ''Is that an old wives' tale?'' Just what I did to the  Anne Grose comment left on  the dogs and tick collar post. I even went further sending the same query to Helen Graham. What I now believe is that garlic can be substituted for all the toxic collars and flea treatments and my dogs have already started on the new regime. I wonder if like Malcolm the dogs will only eat French garlic as of course it is locally grown. Embarrassing experience in the market at St. Antonin when asking the producteur about his garlic and he said "ail Egypt" ... with me backing off saying '  non francais seulement' Only to be told Egypt was the variety and the poor man had been growing it locally for years.
I attach part of the letter from Helen, but also check out the comment on tick and flea collars as Anne uses garlic tablets.
"Garlic has no side effects as it is entirely natural, which is why it is
preferred by many to chemical products.   I use one clove per day per dog,
chopping the garlic finely and adding it to food.  Some dogs will happily
eat a clove whole but there are other dogs who refuse to eat anything that
has had contact with it and so it isn't a remedy for them.
Garlic isn't suitable for cats, as they dislike it, but works with horses."